Dr. Day Responds to her Critics' Vicious Rumors
Vicious rumors have been circulating. Apparenty there has been a letter sent to many people in leadership positions, warning them not to have me speak to their group. The letter is purportedly sent out on Loma Linda University Medical School letterhead and is meant to discredit my message.
The essence of the letter is that "there was NO breast biopsy showing malignancy in Lorraine Day, M.D. done at Loma Linda University Medical Center."
By the way, NO ONE from Loma Linda University called me to ask any questions and obviously they didn't even try to search through their hospital computer data base or they would have found all the information.
For this reason I am posting the following:
1) My Loma Linda University Medical Biopsy Report at the time I had my small, original tumor biopsied, October 26, 1993. By the time of biopsy, my tumor had been present for almost a year but it was so tiny and in such a location that it had not been worrisome to me.
The Diagnosis, as you can read from the report, is: INFILTRATING DUCTAL CARCINOMA, with tumor extending to the surgical margins of the biopsy. (Pathologist, M.R. Akin, M.D.) That means the cancer had already extended into the surrounding tissue, in other words they were not able to remove all of the cancer. The only portion of the Report that is blacked out is my hospital number, so I can retain at least a little privacy.
2) Pictures of my pathology slides, showing that I have a number of the slides of the original biopsy from Loma Linda Pathology Department in my possession. A pathologist will recognize that these are the slides that are placed under the microscope in order to make the diagnosis.
You will see
a) my name,
b) the location of the biopsy - "Left Chest", and
c) the initials LLU Pathology (Loma Linda University Pathology Department) printed on the label at the end of the slide.
After I got well, I went to the Department of Pathology at Loma Linda University and spoke with Dr. Saukel, Chief of Anatomic Pathology, and asked for some of my actual pathology slides. I was impressed to do this so I would have absolute proof of my diagnosis. Somehow I was concerned that at some future time my pathology slides might "disappear" or my hospital records and Pathology Report might "disappear" and there would be those who would try to discredit me and claim that I never had cancer in the first place.
Obviously this is happening now!
In addition, at the time I got the pathology slides, Dr. Saukel reviewed them in my presence and AGAIN CONFIRMED that I, indeed, had had INFILTRATING DUCTAL CARCINOMA OF THE BREAST.
But with these pathology slides, I have the FULL PROOF. NO ONE can discredit this!
3) My Scripps Memorial Hospital Biopsy Report, on November 4, 1993 showing -"Microscopic Residual tumor at previous bx (biopsy) site." with a Diagnosis of: INFILTRATING DUCTAL CARCINOMA. (Pathologist, P. Price) This biopsy also showed that the surgeon at Scripps Memorial Hospital was also not able to remove all of the cancer. Cancerous tissue was still present at the margins, even after the surgery.
4) A portion of my History and Physical examination at Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla (San Diego), California which was done at the time of my biopsy there. November 4, 1993.
I would much prefer not to place my personal medical reports on my web site for all the world to see, but when vicious rumors are trying to discredit GOD'S NATURAL HEALTH PLAN, then the best way to eliminate darkness is to admit light.
"You shall know the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall make you free."
Here is the Actual Letter!
Posted May, 2002
In April, 2002, I was able to obtain a copy of the letter referred to above. A friend picked it up from a table of free religious literature at a Seventh-Day Adventist church. A large stack of copies of this libelous letter was available for all the members to take. The letter was written by Ray Cress, Ph.D., a pharmacologist at Loma Linda University. The letter contains sixteen lies or half-truths. This letter is posted, plus my response to it.
On May 17, 2002, I made a visit to pharmacologist Ray Cress to discuss his defamatory letter, per the Biblical instructions we are given in Matthew 18:15-17:
"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.
"But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.
"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."
I took a "witness" with me and at that time, I presented Ray Cress with my letter refuting all of his defamatory and libelous accusations. Also posted is my follow-up letter to him after our May 17, 2002, meeting.
Near the end of April, 2002, I received a letter from DeWitt Williams, Director of Health Ministries of the North American Division of Seventh-Day Adventists. Obviously, he had received inquiries from Adventists members who had seen the information on my web site regarding the defamatory letter written on Loma Linda University stationery and my documentation proving that I had been surgically biopsied both at Loma Linda University Medical Center AND at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, CA, with a diagnosis of cancer from both institutions.
DeWitt Williams letter to me and my response to him are posted.
This is not the first time that DeWitt Williams and the Seventh-Day Adventist denomination have come against me. In 1991 and 1992, many SDA churches were inviting me to speak on the AIDS issue. Because I was calling for routine testing for the AIDS virus, in the same manner that a doctor is allowed to test for any other disease, and I was calling for responsible behavior by those infected with AIDS, the very powerful contingent of homosexuals in the Adventist church were enraged. They apparently demanded that the church "do something" to stop me, "do something" to destroy my credibiity!
A "Kangaroo Court" tribunal was set up on the Loma Linda University campus and I was summoned by letter to appear. I was not a member of their organization and they had no authority over me, so I was going to ignore their "summons." However, because my mother was a member of the denomination and she asked me to go, I went. And she accompanied me.
I refer to this as a "tribunal" because in a tribunal the accused is not allowed to know the charges against her, nor is she allowed to know who her accusers are, and furthermore, the tribunal members generally serve as both jury and judge, so fairness is not the goal.
The meeting occurred in the Loma Linda University Library conference room with about 20 people present around a large table. Because I was unfamiliar with these people, I do not remember everyone who was present, but these are some of the "tribunal" members:
1) Bob Dale, Assistant to the President of the North American Division of Seventh-Day Adventists, was in charge of the meeting.
2) DeWitt Williams, also present, appeared to be the one who had set up the meeting.
3) Alisa Fletcher
4) Dr. Fritz Guy, former President of LaSierra University.
5) Dr. Harvey Elder, Department of Infectious Diseases, Loma Linda University Veterans Hospital, with a large practice of AIDS patients, who was flanked on either one or both sides by
6) Angry homosexuals
I brought with me two large boxes filled with the medical journal articles I had used as reference material to write my book, AIDS: What the Government Isn't Telling You, the book that was the subject of this "tribunal."
When everyone was seated around the table, Bob Dale asked me to tell the group about my book. Because I did not really understand why this meeting was even necessary, I asked first if there were any specific questions about my book, so I could address those. But no one responded. So I proceeded to tell them, in general, the content of my book and I showed the pertinent medical journal articles I used to support my assertions.
When I was finished, I again asked if anyone had any questions. There were none. (I want to stress the fact that no one had any questions because that is pertinent to what happened later.) So I packed up my boxes of medical journal articles and my mother and I went home.
Several months later I received in the mail from a friend, this "Book Review" of my book, AIDS: What the Government Isn't Telling You. The "Book Review" which was a thinly veiled "hit" letter, apparently was sent out to SDA ministers and others all over the country.
You will notice:
1) The "Book Review" is unsigned as the authors were too cowardly to attach their names to this defamatory document.
2) Members of the Committee who summoned me to the meeting which was the basis for this letter, were not named.
3) The "Book Review" Committee quoted only ONE medical journal article to support their views in their attempt to refute the more than SEVENTY medical journal articles I referenced in my book.
4) The "Book Review" focuses on political correctness rather than on TRUTH, as it bemoans "increased fear", "increasing hysteria", "appeals to people's natural fears of death", and "worst suspicions of government." The writers depend on their "feelings" and their own "opinions" rather than on factual documentation and TRUTH.
5) The ONLY specific item in my book that they address is my discussion of the huge amounts of hazardous blood that trauma surgeons encounter in every major surgical procedure. I DID stand in "killer blood up to my ankles", even up to my knees, day after day and week after week. I DID NOT say that the entire operating room was ankle-deep in blood, only that I had blood up to my ankles.
It is routine during a major trauma surgical procedure for blood to pour out of the patient onto the surgeon's feet and ankles and splash up to our knees, that's why, when the AIDS epidemic began, trauma surgeons began wearing knee-high protective boots in the operating room. Blood often soaks through the surgeon's gown down to his or her underwear, and blood splatters all over his or her face, that's why protective plastic face shields are worn.
As far as I know, there was only one physician on this Kangaroo court committee, Dr. Harvey Elder, who was from the infectious disease department of the Loma Linda Veterans Hospital. Infectious disease doctors are not surgeons and rarely, if ever, go into an operating room and virtually never get any blood on them. In fact, they have NO idea what goes on in an operating room.
It is entirely possible, even probable, that Dr. Harvey Elder wrote this "Book Review" for the committee.
However, only a surgeon would know and understand what goes on in an operating room, and only a trauma surgeon would fully understand what happens during trauma surgical procedures, such as patients who have been shot multiple times with a 357 Magnum or a machine gun, or patients who have been stabbed up to 25 or 30 times in various parts of their body. These patients bleed profusely. Blood is everywhere! These were the patients I routinely operated on.
The largest amount of blood I have ever transfused into one patient was 225 units (pints). This was a young man with multiple gunshot wounds. The human body only contains about 8 units, so the blood poured out all over us surgeons as fast as we "poured" it in. Finally, we got his bleeding stopped after giving him 225 units, and he survived.
Dr. Harvey Elder would not understand this at all.
The accusatory, bogus, explanation in this "Book Review" regarding the amount of blood covering the entire operating room floor would be considered a joke by any trauma surgeon. It would show that the writers of the "Book Review" had no understanding of operating room procedures at all.
In addition, remember that NO ONE on the committee asked me to explain that particular passage in my book. If they really were confused about my statement, or if they really were interested in knowing truth, they would have questioned me about it during the committee meeting. I would have been more than willing to answer and explain.
But no one asked. I presume no one asked, because no one wanted to know the facts, and certainly no one wanted to give me a chance to explain. The "Book Review" letter was going to be mailed regardless of what I said, so why would they want to know the truth? Why would they want to give me an opportunity to explain?
And now, a decade later, the same group is at it again!
Truth has triumphed! Dr. Ray Cress, the Loma Linda pharmacologist who wrote the defamatory and libelous letter has written a letter of apology and retraction.
I want to publicly thank Dr. Cress for setting the record straight.
See the response from Elder Tom Mostert regarding circulation of Dr. Cress' retration letter to all those who received the first letter.